Hymns for a Kid's Heart is one great resource for kids. The books are beautifully illustrated and tell the stories behind the hymns. The CD recordings are quality, traditional and kid-friendly.
Hymns for a Kid's Heart Vol. 1
Hymns for a Kid's Heart Vol. 2
Passion Hymns for a Kid's Heart
Christmas Carols for a Kid's Heart
Unfortunately, as copies of some of these become harder to find, the prices are going up. I certainly wouldn't suggest spending $42.00 on one. But if you ever see a copy at a yard sale or homeschooling sale, grab it! And whether you find a copy or not, it's easy to teach hymns to kids.....just choose a time each day to play hymns that are performed and recorded with quality and excellence. Choose a style that appeals to your family. Here are a few ideas:
- Purchase an all-hymns recording from your kids' favorite Christian artist (even if they're not your favorite. : )
- Search iTunes to purchase and download single hymn recordings for around a dollar and make a "Hymns" playlist in your itunes so you can easily click them on during breakfast or whatever you choose as your listening time.
- Search goodwill CD shelves for hymn recordings
- Hymnal.net will play a simple midi version of many hymns and provide the lyrics
- Listen to entire hymn albums online with Spotify (as always, use proper caution and supervision)
- Holinessmusic.com (They obviously play more genres than hymns, but many hymns would be included here.)
- Purchase personal-sized hymnals for your kids to use during family devotions. Our kids think it's cool to have their own, and the novelty factor is a good way to get them involved with the words in front of them.
What can compare to the richness of lyrics like these:
My faith has found a resting place - Not in device nor creed:
I trust the Ever-living One -- His wounds for me shall plead
I need no other argument; I need no other plea.
It is enough that Jesus died, And that He died for me
Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew What the Almighty can do
If with His love He befriend thee.
Did we in our own strength confide, Our striving would be losing;
Were not the right Man on our side, The Man of God's own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus - it is He;
Lord Sabaoth, His name From age to age the same;
And He must win the battle!
And my spirit is lifted, just typing those few little hymn excerpts.
The truth is: I need to listen as much as my kids! The combination of uplifting music and Truth-filled lyrics is just what I need to bring perspective to many of my days.
There are so many, many powerful hymns and ways to listen. Please share your favorites in the comments below!
~ Sarah Fry